Sunday 18 December 2016

JUL1US E4STMAN - UNJUST M4LA1SE (2005)

The power of Eastman's compositions--and performances--belie the palpable fragility that lingers within them. And the authority of his best works ("Evil Nigger" and "Gay Guerilla") give little sense of the composer's tragic life. These works are from 1973 to c. 1980, a time in which he met and collaborated with folks like Feldman, Oliveros, Arthur Russell...and famously pissed off Cage. For my money, Stacy Hardy's article on him is essential reading on the subject of composition. Look it up. Eastman's work holds the dream of an embodied art, a somatic art, an art that not only breaths but gasps, shouts, resists, counters.

Dream it...

5 comments:

  1. I'm embarrassed to admit I was unaware of Mr Eastman, but reading about him on wiki, I look forward familiarizing myself with his work. Thank you for the educational opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't get enough of him lately. Some great new releases and projects of- and in response to- his work have appeared recently. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MANY thanks for this. Alas, I am having trouble un-zipping the file; any chance you might consider repacking this one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's working and unzipping from my end, but it is a large file. I'll try to get to breaking it up into two files soon, but no promises. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Has anyone been able to open this? I love JE's work and I'd love to hear this, but the file seems to be damaged/misnamed - nothing to do with the size, I just get error messages demanding a .z01 file or saying 'the archive is missing at the following location: " ".' If there's a fix could you tell us? Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete